The beauty salon business remains one of the rapidly growing industries today all over the world.
People are regularly looking for ways to improve what they have or to give themselves a whole new look. They either want to preserve their appearance or improve their looks, be it body, face, feet or hands; …
The desire to stay youthful and look good is a force to reckon with.
Why Set Up A Beauty Salon Business?
The fact is that the industry is set to even grow further.
We are increasingly living in a world where appearance does matter
You only need to study what is happening in the fashion industry to see how far branding has gone and how even kids today want the latest branded sneakers or t-shirt.
Today, both men and women now place close attention to the way they look. People now prefer to be profesionally groomed and are increasingly going to beauty salons on a regular basis.
The beauty industry is a multi-billion dollar industry and a large proportion of that money is spent on beauty and skin products.
This in turn means an increased demand for beauty salons.
Therefore this is a very lucrative business but you need to learn what you need to commence and thrive in this business and you must ensure you are mentally prepared for all the risks that may be involved.
Do You Need A Lot Of Capital To Get Started In The Beauty Salon Business?
The answer is No!
You dont need a lot of money to get strarted in the beauty salon business.
You can start a basic salon with light to moderate capitalization but fully serviced beauty salons and day spas will require more funding to get started.
It is important that you make the right decision by picking the ones you can manage properly.
The amount of capital you need to start the salon business depends on a number of factors
Some of those factors that affect the opening and running cost of a salon business are as follows:
- The type, quality and choice of salon design you go for
- The type of salon you decide to rent
- The amount of deposit you pay to secure the lease of the salon building
- The cost of the utilities and fixtures
- The cost of any leasehold improvements you understake and
- your opening inventory that you intend to use for your beauty salon.
Getting Started – Setting Up A Salon Business Of Your Own
The first step in starting a salon or spa business of your own is to define the extent of services and products that will be offered. Here are some of the most common services and products offered.
You must study the basics of a beauty salon to make a career in this field;
If you must have a passion for the beauty business and you love what you do.. .
You will find it hugely advantageous as it is the most essential ingredient of being successful in the beauty salon business.
Combining your love and passion with proper guidance and informed advice will greatly improve your projection of success.
Starting a beauty salon involves not only hard work and dedication but you will need a sense of purpose and clear aims and targets.
Your beauty salon can provide you with a steady monthly income, especially if you catch the attention of customers.
To make your customers loyal and keep them coming back, your business must offer “quality” service at a good value.
You also have to operate at convenient hours and offer a variety of services that will give your customers more than one reason to come back again.
Over time, your customer base will increase, and money will start to flow in.
Differentiating Your Salon Business
It is important for you to make sure there is something about your salon that sets you apart from other salons.
Perhaps a stylish but classy layout of your salon that provides a different type of atmosphere for clients is crucial and also the kind of services you render should be unique in one way or the other.
Beauty salons offer a wide range of services, so it’s vital that you create a list of services that meet the needs of the type of clients that you want to serve.
Do your research of local beauty salons;
check out the exact services and prices they offer.
If you notice there are several salons near your location that perform one particular activity,
You might want to offer and concentrate more of services few or no other salon in your area does such as offering other beauty services like manicure and pedicure
Reflect on the type of beauty salon you want to open.
You can choose for your salon to have a calm, restful ambiance, with soft lighting and relaxing music or you can choose to appeal to a younger clientele with upbeat music and young stylists.
Ensure you examine the demographics of your salon’s service region to get a sense of the types of clients you should be expecting to see.
Create an atmosphere that’s likely to please these types of client.
Apart from a lot of ideas from your side, it takes strong judgment and a sound financial backing for you to be successful.
If you want to be fulfilled in your salon beauty business, you must do your homework well in this regard.
You need to consult people who have been in the business and learn practically from them about their beauty salon.
In addition, your salon will offer you the independence and will give a total boost to your creativity.
Have A Salon Business Plan In Place
Develop a comprehensive business plan which outlines
- your operating costs,
- start-up costs,
- advertising needs,
- staff requirements and
- marketing strategy.
This process is imperative because it will help you comprehend how much money you’ll have to spend on a rental unit to operate your beauty salon business.
Ensure you have your business plan; it will help you focus and determine exactly how much you need for your business.
Starting with basic services is advised so as to measure your rate of progress before expanding, however do not exclude your own service that will separate you from other salons in your area.
Salon Business – How To Write Your Business Plan
The Salon Franchise Route
If you have your finances ready, you can acquire a franchise outlet.
With a franchise outlet, you become the owner of a beauty salon, which is part of a well-established brand of a leading beauty salon.
Owning a franchise can make things undemanding for you, as it will help you speed up your business at a faster pace.
Having a franchise will also give you an edge in terms of advertising, marketing and such other brand promotion ideas.
Since the name is well-known, such places will bring you a steady stream from an already established loyal clientele.
The downside of going the franchise route is that you will possibly have to pay part of your turnover to the franchise operator
However if you are making good profit by attaching to the franchise… you probably wouldn’t mind giving them some of your profit
Salon Business – Summary
- Determining the services you want to render is a must before starting your salon business as this will help when setting up your salon, give you the exact idea of the personnel you need to hire and the necessary equipments required and also the management system to adopt.
- You will also need a good location for your beauty salon, an area that will have lots of people passing by and there must be water available.
- Visualize your space for your salon on paper, apart from sofas, tables, and chairs, are power points, water points, lighting, and windows; you don’t essentially have to stick to any particular theme, but having one can help your clients identify with and be pleased by the overall atmosphere.
- The salon business is a very competitive one, and you must not be deceived that it is constantly easy to succeed, but with an excellent business plan and scheme in place, together with a burning desire to be successful then there is no reason why you cannot provide a good quality of service and produce a powerful profitable business.
- You should ensure that you research and develop your business ideas as thoroughly as possible and you must be there physically to run your business especially during its primitive stage.
- It is essential that you determine whether there is room in the area you want to set up in. Also read the following basic tips, they will help you start and run your business successfully; however you should do addition reading.
Salon Business – what Next?
If you are really serious about starting up your own salon business… you will need to further educate yourself!
You can do this by reading books, attending start up seminars on salon business and checking out valuable sites
You will find below some more information and some recommended books on salon business that you might want to take a look at:
- Click here to see List of some of the best selling books on the salon business that has also been recommended by other readers
- Some videos posted in relation to the salon business
- Professional Salon equipments For Sale
You can use the form located here to register your interest in getting some more information from me on the salon business.
Click here now … to join my mailing list and I will send you some information and tips on starting and running a salon business of your own
How To Start Up A Salon Business